Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Studio Shots of the F104Pro V2









I'm really beginning to want one of these cars. F104WGP was nice, interested me, but not really enough to want one, same with the F104X1. But the more I see the V2, the more I want one. I can't have one right now, but that never stopped me before. Any way, found some really good pics and a brief write up today.


Here is my typical copy/paste from RCTech. Pics and Words courtesy of FMW.






Hello F1 RC fans,
I wanted to post some studio shots of the new F104 Version II Pro kit. The image or images shows the car with the additional option parts that can be used for the car.

For those new to this thread and new to Tamiya F1 cars, I would recommend two key options that will greatly help the new car. The first part is the aluminum motor pod and the second one is the aluminum steering knuckles. The aluminum pod pieces will make the rear pod that much more rigid as it replaces the stock plastic pieces and the option pod will also act as a motor heat sink to dissipate heat. The steering axles give you one very important tuning adjustment. It gives you the ability to run your axles in-line or trailing off-set. I have done extensive back to back testing on this and I would recommend most of you run the trailing offset position. It greatly reduces the edge of your steering response. However, some of you may like that feeling. The great thing about these axles is you can change quickly and easily.

Later on I will post some images of the car with radio gear installed with some notes and suggestions for everyone. Since the new car is using PBLR rear suspension, room has gotten tighter, but after 2 revisions of my electronics installation, I have some pointers that may answer some questions.

Since I got to run the car extensively this past weekend I have received many questions about the car. The number one question has been: “Is the PBLR suspension that noticeably different in performance?” The short answer is yes. T-plate cars are simple and fairly easy to tune, but they have their limitations. The pitch damper is tied to the T-plate, so whatever oil and spring you use, it can only do so much. The T-plate as it relates to pitch acts as a spring and if you want or need to go softer on the damper spring it can’t as the 3 Tamiya T-plates are only so soft. With PBLR rear suspension the limitations with pitch adjustment is a thing of the past.
The other benefit of PBLR suspension is roll. T-plate cars don’t return to center as well as PBLR. When you exit a turn your chassis should return to center. T-plate cars don’t do that consistently whereas PBLR set up do as you have roll springs that help the center pivot ball return to center. The Tamiya T-plate design has one O-ring in the center and there’s nothing to make the pod return to center.

You will also notice the image shows the car with a standard size Tamiya TRF damper. The F104 Version II Pro kit has the smaller damper included. The instruction point out the car is capable of using either damper. The instructions don’t tell you why one would want to use one over the other, but I would recommend using the standard size damper for outdoor applications where tracks are usually bumpier and a bigger volume shock could prove helpful. Also, the standard Tamiya TRF damper has more options in piston selection whereas the current mini damper in the kit is limited to the two whole piston included. I would use the included damper on carpet tracks or super smooth asphalt tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment